Summer vacation is here—but it may feel a little different this year due to COVID-19. After all, the kids have been home for weeks already, and you may not be able to take your traditional vacation because of closures and social distancing. But summer 2020 can still be fun—here are some creative things families can do to make this year’s summer vacation feel like one, and keep your family sane.
- Break out the tent and sleeping bags and have a campout in the backyard (or the living room).
- Go stargazing. Be sure to pack a blanket and some hot chocolate. The days may be warmer, but the nights are still chilly.
- Find a drive-in movie. It may not be the theater—but it’s socially distant!
- Buy some sidewalk chalk and decorate your driveway or the sidewalk in front of your house.
- Pack a picnic lunch, a blanket, and a frisbee, and spend the afternoon at your local park.
- Make a homemade summertime treat like ice cream, lemonade, or popsicles.
- If the weather isn’t great or you don’t have a lot of outdoor space, make a pillow fort with cushions, pillows, and old sheets.
- Go for a bike ride, hike, or walk around the neighborhood. Bouncing on the trampoline or running through a sprinkler are also fun ways to stay active closer to home.
- Have a car wash party. How do you turn a car wash into a party? Think water fights with the hose, and maybe a cold treat afterwards.
Summer is a great time to just play and have fun with your kids. Relaxing, working, and playing together can strengthen your relationship with your children, and is a great way to create memories and stay healthy—mentally, emotionally, and physically.